What is a credit union?
- A Credit Union is a membership co-operative saving and loans provider, serving a defined group of people – in our case, anyone who works in Retail or related industries.
- This means that retailCURe has 4.5 million potential members.
- Members save to create a common pool of savings, which is then used to provide loans to members who wish to borrow.
- A Credit Union has no external shareholders: All profits made are kept within the business, and the Credit Union exists solely for the benefit of its members.
retailCURe enables its members to build savings in a protected environment at reasonable rates and provides access to trusted, affordable credit appropriate to your needs and circumstances.
The retailCURe journey began in 2014 when retailTRUST as the leading retail charity decided to take action against mounting concern amongst retail employees about the number of staff experiencing financial difficulty. This philosophy is the guiding principle for retailCURe.
retailCURe has been developing since 2014 and working toward official authorisation. This was granted by the PRA and FCA on 4th November 2015. retailCURe will launch services via internet and mobile to employees of our retail partners from Autumn 2016 onwards.
Our Business Goals
- Win the respect and trust of our Members, and our other Stakeholders by acting with honesty, transparency and fairness at all times.
- Provide Members with straightforward Savings products at competitive rates.
- Offer Members loans at reasonable and affordable rates, with no hidden fees or charges.
- Promote and support Members efforts to improve the management of their personal finances through the provision of online budgeting tools, financial education materials and the consistent use of clear, unambiguous language at all times.
- To grow our membership to become self-sustaining and a leading Credit Union in the UK.
- To provide Members with services via advanced mobile and internet channels.
- Be regarded by our peer Credit Unions and regulators as a benchmark for integrity and excellent corporate governance through strong adherence to the spirit of the Credit Union Movement.
- To build a co-operative business that will be the preferred financial services provider for employees of UK retail businesses.
Our common bond
To open an account, you must be a UK resident aged 16 or over and qualify under the ‘common bond’ requirements; that is you must work in retail. This is defined as working for ‘a retailer, in retail manufacturing, retail wholesale distribution or in support services for retail.
For further information see our common bond criteria or read our FAQs page.